As I wrote or rather bitched about a few posts back I could not lift or run for 2 weeks. I even managed to level my Pandaran Mage a few levels while sitting. As I got depressed my eating habits went all over the place and I also gained 5 lbs. So I decided to grab a pen and paper and go over what I did and how I could have prevented the injuries.
The injury itself was me being a dolt and not wearing my hernia belt, then it was a just a chain reaction after that. The other side of this is in just 2 weeks 5 months of work got pushed back and I have to spend a couple of weeks getting my body back into form.
So this is what I was able to figure out and as embarrassing as it is I am going to put it out in the open as a reminder to “slow down and take my time”.
- Warming up, I have been neglecting this for months.
- Stretching after my workout, I have been neglecting this for months also.
- getting sufficient rest at night.
- Walking, I usually fit at least 20 to 30 minutes of walking in every day on top of my usual workouts.
- Weights, I kept raising the amount of weight thinking I could lift it.
I decided to tear my routine down, research on my downtime and build it back up from the ground up. Also looked into the fact or fiction of exercising. I tried to create a full body work out I can do 3 days a week and I think I did a pretty good job, input is always accepted!
- 10 minute warm up I do all static stretches here to wake not relax the muscles. I found the Box Fit workout on my Wii biggest Loser is great for getting the heart rate up.
- Revamped my work out so it is more full body and less just working out certain parts of my body each day.
- Stretching for 10 minutes after my workout.
- The exercises listed below are what I have switched to.
- Reverse Pull ups.
- Push ups.
- Dumbbell Dead Lifts.
- Curls (I throw in curls as I also find it helps with my push ups and pull ups).
- Sitting Overhead Lifts.
- Bench Press.
- One Handed Rows.
- Planks (60 seconds 3 sets).
I wear my Hernia belt on EVERY workout now, I also wear my HRM I picked up to help track my fat loss as well as calorie loss.
For running I could have went back a few weeks on my Couch 2 5K plan but decided to continue the 25 minute runs. Yesterday I did have to come to a walk at the 22 minutes mark but, I basically counted to 10 then started running at a slower pace and was able to finish from there. In my research I also came across this great site showing how to do exercises properly and safely Muscle and Strength. What I love about this site are the video’s showing the exercises. One thing I noticed after doing proper form (lift and lowering slow and breathing properly) I feel pain but, it is not sharp pains like before. This is the kind of pain I feel after moving furniture all day, sort of like a dull roar.
Along with my Diet Pepsi purge which I still do not drink I am now the process of purging chips, cookies, cakes, pastries and chocolate. I am not saying I will never have treats again but, I would rather save these for things like Birthdays and holidays where I can savour these tastes with those I love. I do try to make my deserts myself as I can replace sugar with honey and buy pastry/bread flour that is organic and does not have refined sugar, sucrose or those other hidden sugars!
So I came to a fork in the road, chose a wrong path, instead of just cutting my way across to the good path I backtracked and will start at the beginning again.
Remember tomorrow is Movember would love and be very thankful of your support. Think about it, Old Junk Mile walking around sporting a handlebar moustache and you could look at the pictures and say “I am part of that” 🙂
And Happy Halloween.